Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,514Gear list
Like?
Re: Cross platform equivalency
In reply to stratobill, 8 months ago

stratobill wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

You know, this made me think of something I just read of Galen Rowell a couple days ago. I think it was advice in a magazine article given in a top ten list format. He said don't take record shots. Shoot every shot like its going into National Geographic. I'd probably want the best IQ for National Geographic. :)--

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link below. Includes 5D3 vs D800E (new uploads), 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Maybe, but I went to a presentation by two guys from National Geographic who went into the jungle in New Guinea to shoot a very rare type of bird, videos and still. They brought all Canon 5D's, and the shots were pretty awesome!

Well that was a little bit of hyperbole on my part for the sake of emphasis.

The images I make that go into my personal galleries are vastly more important to me than any image taken by another person for any other purpose (unless someone gets a shot of God maybe) and it may have been a lapse in logic to use that comparison compositionally the way I did.

So, the 5D's survived the rainforests of New Guinea with little or no weather-sealing.

I owned a 5D from month one of its release and it was a wonderful introduction to FF, but the 5D2 produced better and more versatile images for PPing with more tools to help get the capture done for the type of photography I am into. The 5D3 maintained the IQ if not enhanced IQ a bit but it's various additional tools make capture exponentially easier for a much, much broader array of photography styles. The D800E produces better and more versatile images for PPing than the 5D3 but does not beat the 5D3 in the tools that help make capture easier. The 645Z has the potential to eclipse the D800E in raw IQ if not devolve a bit with handy tools.

Some of the answers to be determined concerning the 645Z: lenses (oem and adapted - AF vs MF, stabilized), bracketing, Live View implementation, high ISO performance, will Markins make a camera plate for it..

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link below. Includes 5D3 vs D800E (new uploads), 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow