D4 AF - Question to Pros

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
jeminijoseph
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,811Gear list
Like?
Re: D4 AF - Question to Pros
In reply to dgluckman, 6 months ago

dgluckman wrote:

I've used a pair of D4 for 2 years, replacing my D300's as you did. I shoot mainly birds and don't usually have the problem you describe. Probably because I use spot focus (with the smallest number of focal points) for all my shots except when the bird is in the sky and there is no discernible background. When you use either of the other 2 modes, the focusing points are often well outside the profile of the bird and will almost always focus on the background (or go into search mode) and miss the relatively small bird. Of course, manual focus will overcome this if you have the eyes and hand coordination which I sorely lack. If you're using spot focus you might want to check to make sure the red focusing square is place where you want it.

-- hide signature --

dgluckman

Thanks for the input. So you use single point AF? No dynamic 9/21 points? I always use 21 point which was very effective in D300. If I use single point it's going to be hard to keep the AF point on the bird. Isn't it? If you can track with single point you are much more skilled than I'm Anyhow I will try that and practice it.

On manual focus. I just started practicing it. Everything take practice. That was the case when I started using AF-On button. Now it's almost like a second nature. I can't live without that button any more..

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow