Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NorCalAl
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
What's with Sigma on Nikon?
4 months ago

I've owned a good number of Canon and Nikon bodies and a fair number of third-party lenses. My new Sigma 17-70 is the first to have problems simply operating - or perhaps co-operating - with a body. I read that other models of the new Sigma lenses are having trouble, as well.
I understand third-party and have a pretty good idea of how Sigma gets their lenses to work on different mounts. And I know this isn't the only time issues have come up with using third-party lenses. But this seems different and perhaps deliberate.
Given Nikon's interesting customer service choices (third party repairs for one) and Sigma's recent move toward real quality, I'm wondering what others think is the reason for this seemingly intractable set of interoperability "challenges". Is Nikon intentionally blocking the use - or at least, the problem free use - of Sigma lenses? Or is it the result of changes to Nikon products that has resulted in the unintentional troubles?
I really would like the new 18-35mm f1.8, but don't want another lens that I have to worry about. Or is the lens I have a 'bad copy'? My problems are OS and review staying on. OS is the bigger issue as, unless I turn off the camera, the battery dies much quicker. Image review is canceled just by a half press of the shutter button.
--
The Mad Prophet - philosopher, cyclist, and photographer

NorCalAl's gear list:NorCalAl's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8700 Nikon D40 Nikon D7100 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow