Autofocus speed comparison of mirrorless?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 5,276Gear list
Like?
And does not work in low light
In reply to Ontario Gone, 7 months ago

Ontario Gone wrote:

MinAZ wrote:

Certainly very impressive! I would love to get my hands on the Sony A6000 sometime to give the new AF system a test drive too.

Its supposed to be fast, but there are a lot of complaints that it isn't accurate, or that it is inconsistent in that regard. In other words, it can move the focal point to and fro very fast, but when it locks it's not actually accurate. Im sure it's not as bad as some think but i find it hard to believe it's all BS (some sony fans refuse to believe it at all). It doesn't seem to be a camera with higher keeper rates, regardless how fast those little squares blink.

I would suggest either the EM1 or possibly the GH4, depending on how well it is reviewed to be. If i were buying right now, i would instead wait to see how the GH4 does.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

The E-M1 and A6000 use the same technology and both work well in bright light. Most people won't need anything better.  I still think Nikon has the lead though.  Where things fall apart are when the light is reduced.  I have read Sony turns off PDAF focusing in lower light and many complain of focus inconsistencies.   I would think the E-M1 also turns off PDAF, but Olympus's CDAF is still good and pretty fast.

The unknown in this race is Panasonic and DFD focusing.  So far I have found in bright light is can match or maybe surpass the E-M1 (and A6000).  The jury is still out for that though and we need more tests.   Where is easily surpasses these cameras (especially the A6000) is in low light.  Even in very dark situations (darker than you may ever need), the GH4 focuses almost instantaneously and accurately.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow