Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,473Gear list
Like?
Carrying an extra lens vs extra camera
6 months ago

The last sentence is a fairly good summary if your first thought is TLDR.

After coming to the conclusion that I'm really just not going to get on with the 12-35mm/35-100mm combo for my travel photography needs I've been rejigging my kit a bit, which has begun with the purchase of the 45mm to fill in the portrait hole I'll have once I sell my 35-100mm.

The other requirements of my travel kit are that it must have a decent movie mode, take flashes and preferably a viewfinder (optional or otherwise) have a super-zoom of some sort and a form that allows it to be pocketable whilst covering a 28mm focal length (and ideally pocketable with a normal as well, but that's less important).

The last point is where I start to doubt which route will be best. Camera wise it was a toss up between a panasonic or sony for the video, but the super-zoom on the sonys just looks to large and heavy, so panasonic it is then. Clearly the most logical lens for a simple pocketable 28mm is the 14mm pancake. This will be mainly used for grab shots whilst hiking. I'll also carry the super-zoom in a pouch so at rest stops I can do some more considered compositions.

I wonder though if it might free up my camera choices a bit if for this grab-shot combo I instead just get a nikon A, and then have to worry less about the size of whatever camera I'd mount the super-zoom/45mm on. I was wondering if anyone else had taken a similar approach to covering a particular focal length they want and how they got on with it. I've listed out the pros and cons as far as I see it below and was wondering if anyone had anything to add.

Pros:

• 28mm grab-shot setup will be a smaller
  • Maybe marginally better IQ?
  • Can keep super-zoom mounted on other camera in my bag for quicker work at rest stops
  • Less concern about size of main camera

Cons:

• May cause confusion/less intuitive work when swapping between cameras due to different menus/controls
  • Will also result in my 'normal' focal length setup being bulkier if I were to go with a bulkier main camera
  • Will require extra work done to any movies shot on it to match overall footage
  • Will cost more (around £400 more)
  • Maybe slightly slower focus?

Previously for hiking I've just carried my Canon S95 but am often left a bit wanting with the IQ. I tried a Fuji X20 and although it's a lovely fun camera to use it's improvement in IQ is not enough to justify the added bulk, which is probably getting towards the upper end of what I find acceptable for the my use.

As I say though, has anyone here bought a camera instead of a lens to cover a particular focal length for size, flexibility or any other reason and what have your experiences been with it?

Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow