Autofocus speed comparison of mirrorless?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 6,967
Like?
Re: Autofocus speed comparison of mirrorless?
In reply to MinAZ, 3 months ago

MinAZ wrote:

I have a sort of love-hate relationship with my Nikon J1. It is the fastest autofocusing camera I have ever used bar none. To say that the speed and accuracy of the J1 AF system is blazing is an understatement. However, I find that the picture quality is somewhat modest and therefore using it always seems to be a trade-off.

I was wondering if anyone has actually used the J1 and other mirrorless cameras such as the Olympus OMD system? If so, I'd be interested in your observations regarding the AF speed comparison. I know that the J1 is much faster compared to the Sony NEX-3N that my wife uses, but I haven't had the chance to compare it with more "serious" competition.

The obvious comparison would be with the Sony A6000, which seems to focus as fast as the little Nikons. The 3N would be much slower.

However, it is very difficult to test focussing speed rigorously.

The small sensor in the Nikon will help with focussing as you would use a shorter lens with more depth of field. On the other hand, you cannot expect the same image quality as you get from an APS-C sensor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow