Some examples that show why a wide gamut monitor matters:

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
bronxbombers4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,658
Like?
Re: Some examples that show why a wide gamut monitor matters:
In reply to naththo, 6 months ago

naththo wrote:

I have decided to stay with standard gamut monitor since is a lot better value for money and able to accompany with gaming video cards. So that makes this computer very much multimedia, more convenience for me. Photos, video, games, browser. These are the pro for me. I find that wide gamut has a bit too many cons to it in review and in some website. So it is not comfortable for me to go from standard gamut monitor to wide gamut monitor.

Let put outlay these pros and cons example:

Pros:

Gaming video cards are the winner due to much higher score and best performance, especially points to Nvidia which are the best for multimedia and gaming computer. Including video and photography.

Video cards don't have anything to do with wide gamut. I run a GTX 670 myself, a gaming, non-pro card. You only need the pro cards if you want 10bits output (not much software supports 10bits, not a lot of monitors do either and almost none are true 10bits, they are mostly 8bits+2bit FRC like my current Dell is and NEC had been, I've never run either in the pseudo 10bits though since I have GTX which is locked out of 10bits).

Standard Monitors are much common, cheaper and better value for money, even now lots are turning to IPS and still maintain the 5ms refresh rate which is sufficient enough for gaming and video.

Wide gamut does tend to be found on the mid-tier and up so I can't argue with that. Once you get to upper mid-tier photo monitors it seems like wide gamut starts becoming more common than not though perhaps.

Standard Monitor will have no problem viewing sRGB on web browser and photo viewing, not much adjustment is needed. Only one little adjustment is calibrate the monitor and thats it but be sure get latest calibration unit that has much improvement over older one although if you want better quality go for Xrite.

True, but most wide gamut monitors these days have sRGB emulation modes which are just as good as regular gamut monitors. And the fanciest wide gamut monitors have sRGB emulation modes that are actually BETTER than regular gamut monitors for regular gamut non-color managed stuff since they can be 100% calibrated internally and 3D LUTs and the ability to completely cover all over sRGB and to dial in the primaries and saturation curves properly, stuff that most sRGB monitors didn't use to do as well and many still don't).

In the early days of wide gamut displays this was a major issue and the reason why I never got all that tempted by then. Then the high end ones started delivering perfect sRGB emulation modes and I went for one. Now almost all of the wide gamuts, even the lower end ones, have decent sRGB emulation modes (although do be careful, since there might still be a very few with no or very poor emulation modes).

aRGB shows up much better in wide gamut monitor and probably other as well.

Con:

FirePro and Quadro will not handle gaming well, they are often score lower than the rest of video card in passmark, etc. Thats not good for multimedia computer or for gaming computer.

You don't need those to drive a wide gamut monitor. I think you might be confusing 10bits with wide gamut. Those are two totally different things. I use a GTX 670 myself.

Colour Calibration can introduce banding in your monitor because it directly made adjustment to the video card, not in the monitor. So as a result of your standard gamut monitor will introduce slight banding to worse depends on quality and brand of monitor. Also to do with the brand of calibration unit like Colorvision, Xrite etc. Xrite may be better quality than Colorvision but I haven't tried Xrite yet as I only have Colorvision brand at the present.

This isn't a regular vs wide gamut issue. It's just a lower end vs. higher end issue. High end monitors can calibrate internally and avoid calibration banding and lower end ones can't. But it's nothing to do with whether you get wide or standard gamut.

Wide Gamut monitor may not do well with gaming especially but can happen also in High definition video.

As I said above, this was true in the early days. Starting 3 or so years ago it became less true since many started offering decent sRGB emulation modes, although a number of lower end ones still didn't or had somewhat less solid ones. Today I think it would be rare to find one that didn't have a decent sRGB emulation mode. And as I said above, the higher end ones actually work better for gaming and video since you can dial in perfect calibration internally so you get perfect calibration for games and video even though those pretty much don't use color management. (of course the same could be said about a higher end sRGB monitor too, but those are pretty rare now, although I think NEC has one or two such)

If you do not adjust wide gamut monitor enough to view sRGB and browser then thats the problem except if it has option for to view sRGB then thats great. Most modern monitor of Wide Gamut will now include sRGB option though.

yeah, as I said most do have the sRGB modes now

The cost of FirePro and Quadro and the monitor combined together make it very expensive nowaday. Even with higher end of FirePro and Quadro is often below the speed compare to high end gaming video card making it very expensive as well.

true, which is why I stick to Nvidia GeForce or regular AMD/ATI cards.

If you want better uniformity of light across monitor for photography especially wide gamut monitor the only option is regular LCD with Fluorescent back light. The newer one with edge backlight for wide gamut may not do well and colour accuracy is often below the Eizo LCD with Fluorescent backlight. Thats another problem. What I find is that LED LCD edge backlight with wide gamut is cheaper than the usual expensive wide gamut monitor with Fluorescent backlight. So you gotta be aware of that.

I'm not sure if edge lit LED is used for monitors all that much, it's used for HDTVs for sure though, it's hard to find a backlit LED HDTV now (or CCFL backlit for that matter). Perhaps it is though. Edge lit LED LCD HDTVs were a menace at first, since they all had nasty edge light bleeding. Samsung seemed to have solved the problem fairly well over the last year or two though, but before that, yeah they were a bad mess. But it's possible that edgelit are still worse on average, perhaps much so for some brands still.

The color accuracy comparing my wide gamut CCFL NEC PA241W and BG LED Dell UP2414Q seems to be the same. With uniformity compensation turned off the NEC does better, but I think a lot of that is just luck of the draw. Uniformity varies a lot copy to copy. They seem similar with uniformity compensation on (and the Dell has higher CR with it on due to newer IPS technology). My BG LED Dell has a larger color gamut than my wide gamut CCFL NEC PA241W did.

AMVA, etc monitor are not recommended due to bigger issue with banding after calibration which are common these day. Unless if BenQ for example is improving in newer monitor trying to cut down on banding that would be great.

aRGB and other than sRGB won't show up well on standard gamut monitor.

For me to sum up I feel that weigh out standard gamut against wide gamut monitor is standard gamut monitor with gaming video card are the winner for me.

Nathan.

PS: I have LG 27EA63V-P. They are excellent monitor but viewing 1920 x 1080 might show up bit of jaggy edge, thats normal, bigger monitor will display like that. If you want better quality 27" get the one is much higher resolution than the full HD then you will have better quality viewing with less jaggy effect on edge etc. Only downside is contrast ratio is not so good compare to Plasma, AMVA etc. It looks rather mediocre contrast ratio off this LG to be honest but when viewing photos it looks good otherwise though. I still see black as black perfectly fine but calibration unit can see it is not which our eyes cannot distinguish well. The white is not that pure white though. So thats how contrast ratio works. There is slight banding I observed it after I calibrated it with Spyer4Elite but thats normal though. There is not much to take notice of. This monitor works so well with video and gaming though thanks to 5ms included in IPS. I also couple it with GeForce GTX 660 Ti that is a gaming one but is now superseded/old model but still playable for the time being even works so well with full HD video.

Anyway enough of rant.

IPS LCD does have worse black levels than PVA LCD/AMVA LCD/plasma and IPS all suffer from the white wash polarization now too. IPS does keep general tone response and color a lot more uniform across the screen than PVA/AMVA/etc. LCD though due to better viewing angles for that sort of thing though. Plasma tends to be 6bits plus nasty motion dither to try to get to 8bits, some don't mind that, I couldn't help but notice it, drives me crazy even for movies, never mind photo viewing. OLED may be best of all worlds once it gets fully worked out and prices become reasonable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow