A6000: shooting to minimize zebras at "100+" = RAWs ~2EV below clipping (in Lightroom)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mrbenji
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
A6000: shooting to minimize zebras at "100+" = RAWs ~2EV below clipping (in Lightroom)
3 months ago

So... I shoot RAW in manual mode nearly exlusively, and my intent is always to "expose to the right" -- my ideal goal in most shots is to push my exposure to the point where the brightest parts of the image either fall just short of clipping, or where there's clipping only in a few unimportant spots.

Followed my kids around the park today getting the hang of the camera, and used zebras @ "100+" to try & achieve my "exposing to the right" goal.  I had gotten the sense before that 100+ didn't exactly mean "zebra anything that's clipping," but I figured it would be close enough.

Anyway, when I got home and fired up Lightroom 5 on my images, I noticed my Lightroom histograms seemed stacked a lot further left than I remembered histograms looking in my viewfinder, so I did some experimenting to see how far from clipping they really were.

My shots were all ISO 100, bright daylight or "bright shade," shot with my 50SEL18 at f1.8-f2.5, spot metering, AF-C flex-spot medium + tracking w/ shutter to allow focusing on faces and recomposing without refocusing, DRO auto), increasing the Lightroom "Exposure" slider by a full 2EV resulted in images that still weren't clipping, or were clipping in only the little spots I remember deciding to allow zebras to show.

It's nice to know I have more RAW headroom than I'd realized, but I'm at a loss to figure out how I can reliably make use of consistently, it if I can't trust 100+ zebras or my histogram.

Thoughts, tips and info gladly welcome...

mrbenji's gear list:mrbenji's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow