Some examples that show why a wide gamut monitor matters:

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
naththo
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
Re: Some examples that show why a wide gamut monitor matters:
In reply to Sean Nelson, 8 months ago

I have decided to stay with standard gamut monitor since is a lot better value for money and able to accompany with gaming video cards. So that makes this computer very much multimedia, more convenience for me. Photos, video, games, browser. These are the pro for me. I find that wide gamut has a bit too many cons to it in review and in some website. So it is not comfortable for me to go from standard gamut monitor to wide gamut monitor.

Let put outlay these pros and cons example:

Pros:

Gaming video cards are the winner due to much higher score and best performance, especially points to Nvidia which are the best for multimedia and gaming computer. Including video and photography.

Standard Monitors are much common, cheaper and better value for money, even now lots are turning to IPS and still maintain the 5ms refresh rate which is sufficient enough for gaming and video.

Standard Monitor will have no problem viewing sRGB on web browser and photo viewing, not much adjustment is needed. Only one little adjustment is calibrate the monitor and thats it but be sure get latest calibration unit that has much improvement over older one although if you want better quality go for Xrite.

aRGB shows up much better in wide gamut monitor and probably other as well.

Con:

FirePro and Quadro will not handle gaming well, they are often score lower than the rest of video card in passmark, etc. Thats not good for multimedia computer or for gaming computer.

Colour Calibration can introduce banding in your monitor because it directly made adjustment to the video card, not in the monitor. So as a result of your standard gamut monitor will introduce slight banding to worse depends on quality and brand of monitor. Also to do with the brand of calibration unit like Colorvision, Xrite etc. Xrite may be better quality than Colorvision but I haven't tried Xrite yet as I only have Colorvision brand at the present.

Wide Gamut monitor may not do well with gaming especially but can happen also in High definition video.

If you do not adjust wide gamut monitor enough to view sRGB and browser then thats the problem except if it has option for to view sRGB then thats great. Most modern monitor of Wide Gamut will now include sRGB option though.

The cost of FirePro and Quadro and the monitor combined together make it very expensive nowaday. Even with higher end of FirePro and Quadro is often below the speed compare to high end gaming video card making it very expensive as well.

If you want better uniformity of light across monitor for photography especially wide gamut monitor the only option is regular LCD with Fluorescent back light. The newer one with edge backlight for wide gamut may not do well and colour accuracy is often below the Eizo LCD with Fluorescent backlight. Thats another problem. What I find is that LED LCD edge backlight with wide gamut is cheaper than the usual expensive wide gamut monitor with Fluorescent backlight. So you gotta be aware of that.

AMVA, etc monitor are not recommended due to bigger issue with banding after calibration which are common these day. Unless if BenQ for example is improving in newer monitor trying to cut down on banding that would be great.

aRGB and other than sRGB won't show up well on standard gamut monitor.

For me to sum up I feel that weigh out standard gamut against wide gamut monitor is standard gamut monitor with gaming video card are the winner for me.

Nathan.

PS: I have LG 27EA63V-P. They are excellent monitor but viewing 1920 x 1080 might show up bit of jaggy edge, thats normal, bigger monitor will display like that. If you want better quality 27" get the one is much higher resolution than the full HD then you will have better quality viewing with less jaggy effect on edge etc. Only downside is contrast ratio is not so good compare to Plasma, AMVA etc. It looks rather mediocre contrast ratio off this LG to be honest but when viewing photos it looks good otherwise though. I still see black as black perfectly fine but calibration unit can see it is not which our eyes cannot distinguish well. The white is not that pure white though. So thats how contrast ratio works. There is slight banding I observed it after I calibrated it with Spyer4Elite but thats normal though. There is not much to take notice of. This monitor works so well with video and gaming though thanks to 5ms included in IPS. I also couple it with GeForce GTX 660 Ti that is a gaming one but is now superseded/old model but still playable for the time being even works so well with full HD video.

Anyway enough of rant.

naththo's gear list:naththo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow