Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
omerb
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Almost took the A6000 back...
3 months ago

..but changed my mind after buying the SEL 18-105 E 'G' Lens..

I did not want to spend 1k on the 16-70 Z lens, for that I would spend a little more and get the A7...again. The lens is sharp and has excellent color and contrast. Focusing is smooth and silent for both stills and video - which is also excellent although folks on the web say this lens is not good for video (but they all mention not using this lens with Sony Video cameras) It can also focus to infinity much easier than the Kit and some others that I have tried like the Zeiss 24f18 and SEL20f28. The lens is hefty but it doesn't feel too heavy or long since the body is slightly thicker and the grip is slightly bigger on the A6000 compared to the Nex 6/7. It also has a constant F4 throughout the zoom range. I noticed during daylight it would stop down as you zoom out but in low light it/or the camera knows to keep it constant at F4. I was weary of it only being F4 at its widest end, but it performs well with this camera under low light and the OSS is one of the best I have seen on a Sony lens - haven't got an out of focus or blurry shot yet !

I bought the A6000 Kit with the 16-50mm lens and could not get sharp photos. its odd though because I had the Nex 6 with that same kit lens and the Nex 7 with the 18-55 and they were not nearly as bad as this one.

The A6000 is a nice upgrade from the Nex 6/7 in terms of Menus, response, color and IQ. The Autofocus is slightly better than the Nex 6 and noticeably better than the Nex 7. The viewfinder is OK once you get used to it. At first I thought maybe the A6000 IQ was not as sharp as the Nex 7, but after reviewing my photos I feel that the Color rendition and noise is better controlled in the A6000 (tested both with the Zeiss 24f18). Also at ISO 1600-3200 the images are very clean compared to both the Nex 6 and 7. The Nex 6 had mushiness starting at ISO 1600 and the Nex 7 actually did a decent job up to ISO 3200 (similar to the 5n) but was too grainy. In fact I think the jpeg engine in the A6000 pretty good and better than the A7's (I had 2 of them).

It's my first time posting here and I uploaded some OOC jpegs with the A6000 and this great lens because I really wanted to help share the fact that the kit lens is not worth getting and that the 18-105 really surprised me....

http://www.dpreview.com/members/4192723274/galleries

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow