Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
docmaas
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,790
Like?
Some Sony A7r and SD1M comparison shots
7 months ago

I took a few shots with the same lens on each of the bodies. The flare shot is taken with the canon 17mm ts-e lens. The remainder are taken with a Contax N 24-85 modified for EOS. The A7r was fitted with a metabones adapter that ennables autofocus and aperture selection on the sony using canon lenses. All the contax shots on the SD1 are af. A7r shots are mixed.

The 17mm TS-e is manual focus only. The lens was focused using magnified view on the A7r with the lens fastened to the ballhead. The A7r was the removed from the lens and the SD1 fitted and no subsequent focus adjustments made. As you can see the focus remained sharp indicating the focal plane distance on the A7r with the metabones adapter is the same as that of the SD1.

All the shots are at f5.6. All are unsharpened and without noise reduction. Aside from the flare shot that included a little shadow adjustment on the SD1 image the only adjustment to any image was exposure. All processing was done with Irridient digital which supports both cameras.

I had left the wb set to flash from my mother-in-law's 90th birthday party on the SD1.  I adjusted it for the flare shot but nothing else.

The A7r delivered better ooc jpeg images.

The A7r is a close match for the SD1M but INSHO the SD1M still holds the edge.

Sony A7r canon 17mm ts-e f5.6

Sigma SD1M canon 17mm ts-e f5.6

Rock A7r nosharpnonoise f5.6

rock SD1M nosharpnonoise f5.6

Rock A7r out of camera jpg

Rock SD1M out of camera jpg

Yucca A7r nonoise nosharp exp adjusted to better show texture on petals

Yucca SD1M nonoise nosharp exp adjusted to better show texture on petals

Cliff rose A7r nonoise nosharp exp adjusted to better show texture on petals

Cliff rose SD1M nonoise nosharp exp adjusted to better show texture on petals

Sigma SD1 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow