Some examples that show why a wide gamut monitor matters:

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,794
Like?
Re: basically
In reply to bronxbombers4, 8 months ago

bronxbombers4 wrote:

(I mean I've even seen posts where people try actively scare people away from wide gamut monitors, even really, really great displays, which makes no sense at all today considering that any even remotely decent wide gamut monitor these days has a pretty solid, at worst sRGB emulation mode for use with non-color managed software, and most actually can be set to simulate sRGB better than 95% of sRGB onitors since most sRGB monitors actually don't quite match sRGB and can't be made to exactly match sRGB).

I wouldn't want to "scare" folks but I am guilty of having discouraging a few folks from going wide gamut. It is a fact that:

1. Many people have a limited budget and really don't need to spend more on "new" features.

2. Most people don't fully understand color management.

3. Most applications software programs are not fully color managed and don't play well with wide-gamut displays.

I certainly think that will change over time and I view that as a positive change. But for unsophisticated user looking to buy a "decent" monitor today on a ~$300 budget, I would steer them away from wide-gamut.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow