Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pacnwhobbyist
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
That Zeiss lens - Some thoughts on the Sony RX100 II and the G1X Mark II
5 months ago

Please note that is my personal opinion and you are more than welcome to disagree with me. But I have recently shot with both a G1X Mark II and the Sony RX100 II (a friend has the former and I own the latter). And I have to say that the Sony produces better JPEGS than the G1X Mark II at 1600 and below. They are sharper, with better color and detail capture is about the same between the two.

Now of course, I have not had a chance to process the raw files from the G1X Mark II as of yet. And that might even the playing field a little bit. I will say the G1X Mark II pulls away from the RX100 II at higher ISOs and that is to be expected due to its larger sensor.

But the reason I bring this up is that I don't think the G1X Mark II blows the Sony out of the water like everybody assumed it would. It's still a great camera, but it's also much larger and heavier than the Sony. I think one of the main reasons why the Sony stands its ground against this new competitor is that not only is the sensor really good, but I think it's also that Zeiss lens they put on it is superb.

There are some advantages to the G1X Mark II of course, it's more comfortable to hold, has that excellent capacitive touch screen and three dials for adjusting settings. The LCDs are about the same quality between the two.

If you're on the fence between the two, I urge you to go to your local camera purveyor and try both of them out first before buying.

Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow