Stick with Nikon or Go for the 5DIII ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,328
Like?
Re: Stick with Nikon or Go for the 5DIII ?
In reply to lefantian, 6 months ago

With the current cameras I would need a compelling reason to switch systems. I was using Canon pro gear in 2008 when the D3 camera and the 14-24mm f2.8 and 24-70mm f2.8 lenses were announced by Nikon. Two months later I had the D3 and the two lenses and made the switch back to Nikon.

At this point in time I would go with Canon only to take advantage of its tilt shift lenses or its 200-400mm with teleconverter lens or its lighter weight super telephotos (which are also 50% more expensive than their Nikon counterparts. It would be dumb to switch systems because of a camera like the 5D III alone when there are cameras like the D800e and D610 from Nikon.

I switched to Canon when the very best camera from Nikon, the D2x, was only good to ISO 640 without tremendous noise in the image files. That was a compelling reason when the less expensive 5D provided less noise at ISO 3200 than the D2x at ISO 800. Shooting weddings the ISO difference was a compelling reason to make the switch to Canon.

I knew that the quality of the Canon glass was not as good for what I needed with the 16-35mm f2.8 and 24-70mm f2.8 lenses and the Canon eTTL flash was not as reliable or able to produce the consistent exposures and mixed light WB accuracy of the Nikon flash, but the ISO was the overriding consideration.

If all someone is doing is comparing camera A to camera B at this stage they need to step back and expand their perspective.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow