Planning Safari trip and need a Monopod Head: Really Right Stuff MH-02 LR or Sirui L-10?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,489
Like?
Re: Planning Safari trip and need a Monopod Head: Really Right Stuff MH-02 LR or Sirui L-10?
In reply to Kteng, 8 months ago

For a monopod I favor the Manfrotto 681B monopod with the 234RC swivel/tilt head that sells as a combo for $115. It is more than enough for a lighter lens when tilted and with a telephoto the collar attaches to the top of the monopod and the entire lens and camera are rotated and so the load is on top of the monopod head and no tilting required.

You can spend a lot more but you will not get more in overall functionality. With tripods I save weight with carbon fiber but for a monopod the difference is insignificant.

The RRS head is not really practical from my own experience. If I need to have the camera pointing up or down I want the lens at a 90 degree angle to the shaft of the monopod and I wiill have the shaft tilted and braced against my body. With the RRS the monopod is not going to be braced against your body and this negates much of the value of having one in the first place.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow