missed focus, or pleasant surprise?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
jm_mac
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?
Re: missed focus, or pleasant surprise?
In reply to Eli Allan, 8 months ago

Eli Allan wrote:

I shot some photos with a gymnast yesterday and I have a photo here that I can't make a decision about. She was swirling this big ribbon at the edge of the canyon, given her constant motion back and forth I had to use AF in order to hit focus and maintain the dof effect. My usual method for this is to center focus and quickly recompose, which is effective but not perfect. So in this shot I focused on her eyes but as I recomposed she quickly stepped backwards into this pose and completely behind the point of focus. At the time I called it a miss and kept shooting but after the fact, I actually really liked the OOF shot. I have some similar shots that are in focus, but none with the ribbon in such a perfect position. What are your thoughts? Happy accident or a total fail on what might have been the shot of the day?

I think you have the perfect subject, prop, depth of field, and background.  Whether focused on the prop or the gymnast, I love all these photos.  And the first one, I think it is better the way you captured it, as opposed to the way you intended.  Well done!

jm_mac's gear list:jm_mac's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D7000 Pentax K-01 Canon EOS M Pentax K-5 IIs +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow