Hyperfocal distance calculator values off the charts?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mekutotokuchiri
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?
Hyperfocal distance calculator values off the charts?
3 months ago

I have a question regarding hyperfocal calculators. For example the one on dofmaster.com.

When I calculate for my 18-35mm lens, I can use the values accordingy when focusing manually at 18mm. However, moving towards 35mm, it gives me numbers that are beyond the scope of the lens' distance scale (which ends at 6 ft, with infinity being the next step). If I use my 200mm lens and calculate, it gives a hyperfocal distance of a whopping 432.3 ft.

So what's the point of offering such a calculation when it's quite litterally off the charts and impossible to use? I doubt that the calculator would include numbers that are irrelevant, so why does it seemingly do so? I'll never find 432.3 ft on my distance scale. There must be some way to interpret or handle this calculation to make it usable in real-life.

I just recently "discovered" this term, and I am, quite literally, trying to come to terms with how to use it properly. Hence, this unenligthened question.

Mekutotokuchiri's gear list:Mekutotokuchiri's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Apple Aperture +4 more
ANSWER:
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow