Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,937Gear list
Like?
Re: Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?
In reply to Dave Stott, 8 months ago

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Sutherland wrote:

What types of adjustments do you leave for PS because LR is not up to the task?

Well, since you have the book, you should know :~)

Things you can do in Photoshop that you can't do in Lightroom;

• Multi-image combinations such as swapping heads of skies.
  • Substantial image retouching beyond what LR can do. Some is layer based and some are tool based.
  • Paths. Paths are the real only way of accurate and precision selections and masking for outlining.
  • Layer masks and Adjustment layers for specific targeted adjustments (Auto Mask in LR is pretty primitive).
  • Context Aware (at least for now).
  • Liquify (which plays a role in retouching sometimes)
  • Puppet Warp
  • Non-proportional image resizing
  • Photomerge
  • HDR merge (both of the above can be done with 3rd party apps from within LR)
  • Vast selection of 3rd party image processing plug-ins.
  • CMYK
  • Really, REALLY huge image files up to 300K x 300K pixels using .psb file format (LR can't even read .psb files).

And, just to explain, when I said 80/20 LR vs PS, I was referring to the basic image adjustments to the vast majority of images. I wasn't referring to the amount of time actually spent working on an image. Depending on what you need to do to an image, 80% may indeed be able to be done in LR but that final 20% may take a lot longer to do in Photoshop. The key is to only spend a lot of time to those select few images that deserve it...and determining which images deserve it is more easily done in Lightroom.

Which is why serious photographers really need both apps to be able to do what's best done in each specific app.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jeff Schewe

When Jeff Schewe speaks,  that's good enough for me.

Now all we have to do is to decide whether we each do enough of that to merit the CS cost,  and more importantly for me, tackle the learning curve.  I'm pretty sure that learning all the ins and outs of CS is a long road.

Dave

That $10/month is quite a burden, but somehow I manage it.
--
- Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow