Stick with Nikon or Go for the 5DIII ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587Gear list
Like?
Re: Stick with Nikon or Go for the 5DIII ?
In reply to TQGroup, 3 months ago

I own a D600 and I believe a more valid comparison between the Canon 5DmkIII is with the Nikon D610... not the D800 to which Canon currently has no response.

IMHO, the D610 shades the Canon principally because of better DR, IQ and colour depth. In other words, it is capable of producing better quality images.

It is also lighter and much cheaper... for the coin left over you can buy an excellent 24MPX D7100 DX camera body as a backup and for when you need that extra reach; or another decent lens.

To be sure Canon has some worthwhile advantages for some, including a 1/8000 shutter speed, a shorter shutter lag time and a different AF system. To me the Canon's biggest advantage is that, with the use of an adapter, you can use those great Nikon lenses!

D610 shutter lag is .052, 5D3 is .059. D800 .039 originally and revised to .042. So Nikon is faster.

And as far as AF system just because it has more points does not make it better. I don't know about D610 but D800 can focus in the lower light better than 5D3. I sometimes can lock focus on the blank wall if it has some kind of the texture.

Finally, the Canon does not have a built-in flash. To me, for that genre of camera, that is an absolute show stopper. Game over!

You are making fun of it but I was invited as a guest to a wedding few weeks ago but I brought D800e with me anyway to take the snapshots. It happens to be that so called Pro had 5D3 and his assistant had another Canon, maybe 7D. They both missed bouquet throwing and groom's Thor hammer throwing (geek wedding) but I didn't with on board flash. I also made 36x48 print of them coming out of Tardis, as additional gift, with on board flash.

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow