Curves are hard to use.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
suddie1215
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,810Gear list
Like?
Re: Curves are hard to use.
In reply to realgeek, 8 months ago

The old appeal to authority argument.

I trust very little of what Scott Kelby says and I've followed him since around 1990 when he used to discuss Desktop Publishing on a CompuServe Forum. This was long before he reinvented himself as a Photoshop guru and now as a photographer.

His own Kelby Training website sells a two-disk tutorial called Mastering Curves by Ben Willmore which is probably the best instructions I've seen on using Curves. If he doesn't believe in it why is he promoting and selling the product?

Kelby says whatever he thinks will benefit himself or his sponsors.  Three years ago he created quite a stir by claiming that Perfect Layers - a product made by one of his sponsors OnOne Software - creates layers in Lightroom.  That's not really possible but it didn't stop him from making the claim and touting the product.

Its also amusing to watch how he and his buddies touted Nikon cameras for years until Canon gave him a 1DX camera last year and suddenly Canon cameras are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

realgeek wrote:

Don't use them. You can do the same thing in other ways.

Check this out: http://scottkelby.com/2009/the-diminishing-role-of-curves-in-photoshop/

Kelby has gotten more and more strident on the issue since 2009. Curves are the old way of doing things. It's great for people who already know how to use it, but people who are learning photo editing now needn't bother to learn how to use it. It's kept primarily for legacy reasons.

Even if he goes a bit too far, it's still true that you don't have to learn how to use curves any more. You certainly can get by without it.

suddie1215's gear list:suddie1215's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow