Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Curves are hard to use.
In reply to ImageAmateur, 7 months ago

ImageAmateur wrote:

realgeek wrote:

Yes, you are right. The page I link to only speaks of color adjustments.

But, as I added, he has gotten more strident on the issue since 2009. I can't find it in writing, but I've heard him on his show, The Grid. (See Episode 52, starting at 36:30 -- or at 20:00, if you have the time.) He's quite negative on curves. It's like the darkroom -- it's obsolete. Until recently, he used curves to add some contrast. But with Adobe Camera Raw Process 2012 (Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom 4), the contrast slider has been improved, and he now uses the contrast slider instead of curves.

Curves are just another tool within the 'lightroom' PP, I do not see as obsolete, one is surely working with the tonal range and contrast with whatever tool one uses, that includes curves or whatever user interface tool one uses to make it more user friendly, surely?

Each PP program has their version of bringing up highlights and shadows, changing the tonal range, most have curves and levels.

If one is comfortable with using them, fine. If not, Capture One has highlight and shadow recovery, as well as all the usual sliders, like contrast, saturation etc etc. Works well also.

ACDsee Pro has excellent (that works very well), 'Lighting adjustments, that do the same thing, plus the usual other sliders.

But they both have levels and curves too.

Just different user interface tools.

Cant help but wonder if there is not some 'marketing speil' involved in referring to ACR Process 2012 'making curves obsolete'.... the curves just reflect what is in the image.

The sliders are just a user interface way of adjusting, surely?

I agree however, that the user interface tools in many of the programs have come a long way and are excellent.

Which is where GIMP, excellent program though it is, should look to improve i.e. user interface.

That is really all that separates it from the 'commercial' programs, they have spent some time on making the UI friendly.

I agree. There are basically only so many things you can do to adjust an image in a realistic manner. the differences really are in how easy it is to make the adjustments. And, the harm, or lack of harm done in adjusting. Vibrance for example is just a saturation control, but is an intelligent saturation control that minimizes harm. Over time tools will be refined from axe, to ice pick, to carving knife...

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow