ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ngtszhodavid
Contributing MemberPosts: 631Gear list
Like?
What's the most 'efficient' RAW format settings
8 months ago

Hi to all professionals and enthusiasts,

I'm 'Newbie' here so pardon the ignorance. (as in not a professional and mainly take pics of wife/kids)

Understand (or rather I'm assuming) the larger file size probably means retaining most detail if I shoot Raw and set the settings accordingly which gives the larger file sizes, but then the file size might be too huge and time to edit and transfer etc might not be ideal from a hobbyist point of view (though I do hope for good quality).

Just wondering what setting you guys usually use in respect to:

RAW L or RAW S (any significant drop in quality here?)

and if RAW L, whether 14-bit or 12-bit used, and lossless ompressed or compressed set.

I know this is all about preference but from your experience and considering I don't make photography for a living (though I want good quality standard), which setting is best in terms of not having too huge file sizes but yet good enough for human eye not to detect much drop in IQ.

some sort of "efficiency ratio" if you will...

Other details:

Use lightroom 5.4

Using a D4S and one 32GB XQD card plus 64GB CF card.  computer some imac (forgot the model w 16GB or ram)

For a travel trip expect probably 2kish photos plus some video clips kinda storage requirement.

Thanks in advance.

ngtszhodavid's gear list:ngtszhodavid's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D4s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow