Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jorrit
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Airplane travel with a lot of equipment
8 months ago

How do you guys brings your cameras and lenses overseas?

In the past, I've always brought a smallish selection (DSLR with 2 or 3 lenses) that I could fit in a camera backpack, and keep the weight around 5kg, which most airlines allow. This is already a problem as it doesn't allow you much room for a laptop which also has to go in hand-luggage.

But this summer, I may be going to Africa, and I may want to bring a more serious selection of lenses to shoot some wildlife. I'm not going to bring a 600mm f4 weighing 5.5kgs, but for the sake of argument, let's say that I am.

Such a lens exceeds both the size and weight allowable for hand-luggage. So what's the answer? Do you search specifically for an airline with special allowances for camera bags? Do you use a special case so it can be checked in with the normal suitcases (with handles throwing those cases around, that sounds dangerous, not to mention second suitcase fee) ? Do you pack the lens snugly between your clothes maybe ?

And what about travel at the destination itself? In my experience local flights allow less weight to be carried than most international flights.

I'd be very interested to know how you guys get across the world with your equipment.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow