CarrySpeed users - Material failure (suggest you check immediately)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
amateurphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 206
Like?
CarrySpeed users - Material failure (suggest you check immediately)
5 months ago

I have the Carry Speed FS Pro (wide shoulder strap) with the F1 folding mounting plate.

Have used this item very frequently 1yr for event photography work. The plate is attached to a D4 with 24-70 + SB910 and sometimes 70-200.

The shoulder strap is excellent and no pain on the shoulder or neck after prolong continuous usage.

Strap is more comfortable than the Black Rapid, but also I could adjust the strap length from the front, unlike the Black Rapid.

IMPORTANT PART MUST READ - Today I decided to give a detailed examination of my Carry Speed FS, in particular the metal attachment (with screw "sheath") that connects to the ballhead of the mounting plate. I noticed that the attachment (item which you screw over the ballhead) was showing signs of wear, such that eventually the ballhead will not be contained within the socket and would fall straight out, even when the locking "sheath" has been screwed down. This is of course is due to poor materials (possibly not using hardened steel) or sub quality in the copy I have. I am however a heavy user and the camera is max weight, but this shouldn't be an issue.

What I suggest is that Carry Speed users check there are no signs of wear of their ballhead socket such that their camera will eventually fall out, even when the attachment is screwed down over the socket.

I do use a buckled camera neck strap, and when shortened put the strap through the carry speed strap as a backup. I will write to their rep and see what they can do to somehow replace this worn part.

I know there is a lengthy discussion on Carry Speed further down. Didn't read all and not sure whether others have the same problem.

Hope this is useful.

Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow