Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,479Gear list
Like?
New to Canon, 5D2/3 question
5 months ago

It has been a long while since I have shot on a DSLR as I am mostly a Leica shooter, but I have been doing more and more architectural work and it has gotten serious enough that I invest in a dedicated setup. At first I bought the 24mm TSE LII and adapted it to a Sony A7R, but file sizes and a few features that I found useful, particularly the use of the Camranger, has pushed me towards a Canon body.

Back when I did shoot on DSLRs, it was the Nikon D3. At the moment I picked up a 5DII for a great deal and am getting used to that. Nice camera. I have also picked up a 17-40mm, but it never really gets any use. Only once actually for just one shot. I may pick up the 17mm TSE also, but that would see rare use also as it is a bit too wide.

Anyhow, I don't foresee this setup growing into anything more than a dedicated architecture setup, and with the TS lenses being manual focus, and the one time I used the zoom I also used it in manual focus, I am wondering if there is any reason for me to look into a Mark III now that I have committed to this route.

So far the one thing I really like about it is the dual card setup which, for work, gives me added piece of mind over the 5DII I am currently using. Luckily I have a ton of cards and switch them several times in a shoot, dumping the contents immediately onto a hard drive. Is there anything else really significant that anyone can think of with regards to the Mark III over the II for the purpose which I use the camera? I need to pick up a back up body and was thinking about the Mark III with the Mark II as a backup, but the II goes for so cheap these days, I am tempted to just pick up another one of those...

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D3 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow