why does the E-M1's video get dissed?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
3dwag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,044Gear list
Like?
Re: why does the E-M1's video get dissed?
In reply to rolleiman, 3 months ago

s_grins wrote:

William Porter wrote:

Need some help from you video mavens.

I gather that the consensus is that Panasonic's recent bodies do video "better" than Olympus's. To put it more the way that interests me, I gather that the view of the cognoscenti is that the E-M1's video is not one of the otherwise excellent camera's strong points.

Why not?

What doesn't the E-M1 do that some recent Panasonic camera can do? And who does this matter to?

Thanks,

Will

Forum contributor amtberg once spoke out a suggestion that IBIS does not allow to connect to sensor heat sink. A guess you know that sensors produce lots of heat, and while taking movie, this heat can't be dissipated naturally.

I would not mention somebody's educated guess without agreeing entirely.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

Maybe so, but I have done video for two hours straight with a Sony SLT [A57] which has IBIS and no overheat problems or noise problems - shooting 3200 ISO. I think that with on sensor analog to digital conversion the heat generated is greatly reduced. I suspect that Oly just hasn't concentrated on getting their video to a competitive level. The sensor probably isn't the limitation.

Perhaps the EM-1/ 5 IBIS is a limitation for 1080p60 with the current sensor due to heatsinking concerns, but would not limit going to 1080p24 (and 1080p25).

The data rate would be limited at some point by the camera's codec/ processor speed/ resources. Still, at least 1080p24 at the same data rate would yield ~20% gain in data density/ frame compared to 1080p30.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow