Fuji RAF files are bigger than the JPG...cropping!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Sebastien Guyader
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji RAF files are bigger than the JPG...cropping!
In reply to David Strachan, 8 months ago

The RAF files are not cropped themselves. They retain everything, including distortion in the field of view. However, within the RAF file there will always be a JPG thumbnail, which has been corrected for distortion in-camera.

When you simply view your raw files in any converter, what the preview shows is in fact the embedded JPG, corrected for distorsion. With any RAW converter that recongnizes Fuji's lens distorion data, when you develop the RAF file it actually does some distortion correction in-computer. I don't use LR nor ACR, so I don't know if you can disable lens distortion correction, I hope it is possible.

Otherwise, develop your RAF files with a program which doesn't auto-correct lens distortion (but remember that even in those converters you will probably see a corrected preview, that of the embedded JPG).

Sebastien Guyader's gear list:Sebastien Guyader's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Gimp +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow