Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,191Gear list
Like?
Step 1 w/my A6000 - done! Step 2...
8 months ago

OK - so when I got home from work, my A6000 was waiting by the door.  First things first - loaded my NEX-5N battery, and went to work setting all the camera settings - movie button off, prefocus off, image auto review off, setting up all the custom buttons, setting up the Fn menu, airplane mode on, and setting my standard default settings.

I then went to work setting up my 3 MR banks - Bank 1 - AF-S, smallest flex spot AF, center-weight metering, steady shot on, auto WB, Auto ISO with 100 to 1600 range, 6fps drive mode.  Bank 2 - switched to AF-C, wide focus mode, steady shot off, Auto ISO range up to 3200, 6fps drive mode.  Bank 3 - Lock on AF set to shutter, center zone focus mode, all else the same as 2.  That gives me 3 quick birding banks - still birds, moving birds against blank sky, and moving birds against busy background.  I set up the camera mode in the Fn menu, so I can leave the camera in MR, and quickly switch between the 3 preset banks.

I also loaded the firmware updates for my 18-55, and 55-210mm lenses.  I did a couple front yard and in-house quickie test snaps just to check the tracking in AF-C modes, with wide normal vs lock-on AF...mostly cars driving by and squirrels moving.  Some multistack ISO tests in the room (I noticed multishot in MFNR runs 4 frames rather than 6, which is a little strange - all my other Sonys run 6 frames stacked - haven't tested HHT yet to see if that's also shooting 4 frames.  Still, my tests at ISO25,600 in MFNR was very promising - with the resizing down to NEX-5N size, I do believe this is going to be a usable range, whereas 12800 was the max on the 5N for me.

The step 2 test begins tomorrow - going birding with the 55-210 and DH1758...have two batteries fully charged from my NEX-5N, and am charging the 3rd new battery that came with the A6000 - so I'll have 3 fully charged batteries on hand to play with tomorrow.  Forecast is sunny and clear - no rain chances - but a rather unpleasant 90 degrees and 85% humidity.  Oh well, jumping in the pool at the end of the day anyway!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow