Cross platform equivalency

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,147Gear list
Like?
Re: Cross platform equivalency
In reply to Rick Knepper, 4 months ago

Rick Knepper wrote:

Anyway, to the crop stuff. 1.27 or so crop factor means that we are comparing a difference pretty close to the difference between 35mm and APS-H. If the sensors are of the same tech generation you will get better images from the 51mp MF sensor, all other things being equal. You will get thinner depth of field from the MF as well, which seems to be a key argument among the anti-crop movement.

Noise and DR aside, and given the same MPs, which sensor will produce more detail?

I would think the larger sensor will have greater resolution much the same way that a 35mm sensor does vs aps-c.

The real question comes down to whether or not you need it. The d800's 36mp is interesting, I personally don't need it for what I want to do. I usually don't need 20mp either, if I'm being honest. All of these arguments about getting the best hardware often makes a pretty insignificant difference to your average photo, it's more about the outlying images that make people go ooo and aaaa.

You know, this made me think of something I just read of Galen Rowell a couple days ago. I think it was advice in a magazine article given in a top ten list format. He said don't take record shots. Shoot every shot like its going into National Geographic. I'd probably want the best IQ for National Geographic.

Fair point!

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow