Help, Am I getting lens flare across my focus sensor?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?
Help, Am I getting lens flare across my focus sensor?
6 months ago

Every once in a while my 5D MKII in AI servo shooting an EF 70-200 F2.8L IS MKII wide open at ISO 4000, the camera goes on a focus flyer (during a burst of frames) taking a frame or two to recover.

To make it fun there's a truck sized outdoor video screen 10 feet off the ground behind where my subject run. If I can stay in tight everything is fine but if they come wide (closer to me) when I zoom out to frame them I can't help but sweep the video screen.

Normally I get 4 frames to choose from but if the lead is changing at the line then I'm recomposing as the video screen is in the shot and the focus won't settle to the new framing and I wind up with an image that looks front focused, but that could be an illusion based on a trailing horse in a closer lane.

The worst part of this is the customer buying my max size print owns a horse that comes across on the outside assuring his shots are always a rough go.

My selection process is based on leg position, #7 very good, #5 very bad.

I've started selling gear to afford a 5D MKIII but it's not clear the better AF will deal with the bright screen passing through the shot any better. The improved AI-servo tracking is also worrisome since I need dumb fast tracking so I can change subjects in a few milliseconds, dwell on the losing horse as the winner crosses in front.

-- hide signature --

--

Phil Agur
5DMKII - 5DMKII Dual Body Bag - Go 'L' and don't look back!
PW MiniTT1/AC3 w/ 5X FlexTT5, & 2X PowerMc2

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow