Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,672Gear list
Like?
Re: Odd G1X MK2 focusing quirk
In reply to Ranlee, 8 months ago

Ranlee wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

That is very annoying and downright scary to those of us contemplating getting this camera. I can't imagine what could make it behave that way. It also seems to be affecting more than one camera. I know that misery loves company. But not so much in this case.

I hope this can be resolved, or that Canon will release a firmware update to correct the issue. There is too much good about the camera to have something like this spoil the fun. I am so sorry....

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

This is going to take more study I think. I'm sitting in a relatively dark room. 3 roof windows with shades drawn - early evening. There is about a 3.5' space between my roof windows with knotty oak boards (enough texture contrast normally but with the relative brightness of the windows I can barely make out the grain 6 feet away, naked eye). The MkII will not focus on any area between the windows while the windows are showing in the viewfinder. Zoom in to eliminate the windows and it may focus a little better, not much. Put the focusing reticle even the tiniest bit into any of the window frame lit up by the window and it will focus easily every time. Now the strange thing is that without zooming, simply aiming up above the window at the roof peak where there is no window in the frame it focuses just fine yet it is just as dark if not a little darker. Same wood grain.

Test 2, tried the same thing with my GX7 and 20mm 1.7 and my GM1 with 12-32. Both acted exactly the same as the Canon. Unable to focus in the area between the windows but no problem when the raised above the windows with no strong light in the frame. Both Pany's focus faster and are much easier to focus on a smaller objects accurately. In fact the GX7 can focus on little more than a pinpoint area but they are still unable to focus in the same areas the MkII cannot focus. At least in my inner sanctum.;-)

Long story short, I'm not sure its that much of a problem. More experience will tell. Also, I don't presume to speak for anyone else. We all have different needs and tolerances.

Thanks for that information, Randy.  Interesting tests and results.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow