Cross platform equivalency

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,633Gear list
Like?
Re: Cross platform equivalency
In reply to qianp2k, 3 months ago

qianp2k wrote:

645Z and associated lenses certainly are attractive to some Pros and enthusiasts who want to pursue the best IQ as possible while still relative affordable and portable. A rumored Sony mirrorless fixed-lens MF on the same sensor with EVF in a RX1-typed body (much lighter/smaller than 645Z) and priced at $5K or below will be also a great option for those groups of photographers.

However I believe most Pros and enthusiasts will stay on FF as the best balance of IQ and portability/cost/weight/size/lens choice.

There were some $8k FFs just a few years ago and there might be again if the "Monster" arrives cloaked in 1 Series clothing.

If the "Monster" arrives priced like a D800, then of course, the decision becomes exponentially more difficult - for me. I can sell all of my Nikon kit (aka my high res kit) and get close to the purchase price of the camera and maybe one lens. That will leave me with my entire Canon kit still intact.

Then, additional lens purchases for the MF system look like any given year.

Separately I agree unless there is a dramatically improvement in sensor QE, you'd have to increase sensor size for much better IQ. Larger sensor -> better IQ on the same QE of sensors, a simple law of physics.

Noise and DR aside, what about detail i.e. equal MPs, equal details or no?

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link below. Includes 5D3 vs D800E (new uploads), 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow