Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?
In reply to Dave Stott, 8 months ago

Dave Stott wrote:

Still, if I had to give up Lightroom or PSE (I don't have full Photoshop) it would be PSE... The UI [Lr] is the same whether processing RAW, jpeg, TIFF's or whatever (although I shoot RAW I use plug-ins which generate TIFF's).

The user interface in PSE is also the same regardless of RAW or JPEG if it is used correctly. I always open my images regardless of type first in Adobe Camera RAW, and only use the Editor for what remains to be done, after using Adobe Camera RAW. The features (except perhaps for red eye removal) are far better in ACR than in the Editor. Unfortunately I think many beginners using PSE make the mistake of starting with JPEGs, and then worse still, trying to do everything with the Editor. Adobe has facilitated that by making the ACR feature somewhat hidden up until PSE12.

For users needing to process large volumes (not me) Lightroom will win every time.

I've heard that said before, but have never seen the justification for it. You can open multiple RAW images in ACR and process them all at the same time. In PSE12 you can also open multiple JPEGs and also process them all at the same time. What more does Lr do?

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow