Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,351Gear list
Like?
Re: My new DSLR has me appreciating my m43 setup much more
In reply to Dave Stott, 6 months ago

Dave Stott wrote:

jhinkey wrote:

My m43 gear makes me appreciate my FX gear and my FX gear makes me appreciate my m43 gear.

Each kit has it's positives and negatives and I choose the right one for the job.

When the bulk and weight of the FX gear cannot be tolerated and I can forgive some IQ loss, I reach for my GX7 + lenses. If I know I will be shooting in low light or will be experiencing large DR situations where I'll want to pull up shadows I grab the FX gear.

Lately I've been using the GX7 a lot more due to it's portability and using the FX gear for more specific situations.

Appreciation is a two-way street . . .

And that does seem to be a recurring pattern. The m43 becomes the work horse, and the dslr comes out when only it can do the job.

So much so that I am finding myself thinning out my FX gear to only those lenses that are unique and that I use a lot.  No more crummy mid-range zooms that I only used on vacation or the 70-200/2.8VRII that I picked up once per year.  As my m43 gear is filling out I'm heading to very strategic FX lenses to be left in the FX kit - typically lenses that you can't really get the equivalent of in m43.

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow