Cross platform equivalency

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,471Gear list
Like?
Re: Cross platform equivalency
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, 3 months ago

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

If you have read any of the several thousand crop vs 35mm arguments over the years it's all the same stuff applied to MF vs 35mm. I have been pointing out for years that this is the case, that for some reason people have decided that 35mm is the "perfect" balance of price/performance, which really means they can afford 35mm. If money is not an object and there exists something better, well, you see where I'm going with this.

Yes similar comparison but in higher diminishing return. 645Z is 0.78x crop that makes 35mm FF sensor roughly 1.3x crop to this MF sensor (which itself a crop MF sensor compared to bigger CCD MF sensor in PhaseOne IQ280 and Mamiya 645DF). You only see noticeable difference when you print/view in very big size. Bear mind mind that it seems true Sony 54mp sensor and a high pixel Canon sensor are coming.

The issue has been that crop and 35mm really have been the sweet spot in terms of selling cameras to people, so they have enjoyed the most focus on tech advancement. With all of the talk about DSLR saturation you might start to see more MF cameras like the Pentax who target working pros who can afford then and are seeking something to differentiate themselves from the mom/dad with a camera crowd.

That's the point that FF cameras are sweet spot, mature enough with most features, and affordable enough in these days, more and most versatile lens choice. Also much lighter and smaller and lots cheaper. Nevertheless this 645Z makes a MF relative affordable to some Pros and enthusiasts who pursuing the best IQ on still  relative affordable price.

Anyway, to the crop stuff. 1.27 or so crop factor means that we are comparing a difference pretty close to the difference between 35mm and APS-H. If the sensors are of the same tech generation you will get better images from the 51mp MF sensor, all other things being equal. You will get thinner depth of field from the MF as well, which seems to be a key argument among the anti-crop movement.

As said in higher diminishing return. DOF is not really an issue on equivalent DOF. FF f2.8 is eq to 645Z's f3.5.

The real question comes down to whether or not you need it. The d800's 36mp is interesting, I personally don't need it for what I want to do. I usually don't need 20mp either, if I'm being honest. All of these arguments about getting the best hardware often makes a pretty insignificant difference to your average photo, it's more about the outlying images that make people go ooo and aaaa.

Someone needs it but I am sure less need 645 than FF especially when Sony and Canon if released 50mp FF cameras in later this year. Not sure how good of DR in this 51mp Sony MF sensor, still 14-stop or 16-stop?

Summation, the Pentax images SHOULD be better than a Canon 35mm with the same pixel count, due to larger surface area, all things being equal. Does that justify the cost difference that we'll likely see? Hard to say as the Canon camera doesn't exist. Are there other features of the Canon that make it a better fit for your uses?? Again, hard to say.

More meaningful if this 51mp MF sensor compares to forthcoming 54mp FF sensor from Sony (if the rumor is true that at least as good as current 36mp sensor in other aspects) or on Canon 40+ mp sensor (we have no idea how good of Canon sensor). I suspect unless you use best of best MF prime lenses and print/view in extreme big size, the difference is not that big. I have no ideas of MF lenses (except they are very expensive), are some of them  as good as Otus 55/1.4, FE 55/1.8, Sigma 50/1.4 A and Sigma 35/1.4 A respectively?

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow