Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?
In reply to Sutherland, 8 months ago

The other question that could be asked is whether there is any image editing technique that can be done in Lr that cannot be done in PS? I think you will find the answer to that is "no". The next question one could ask is if that is the case then why would you consider Lr if PS does everything? Could be two answers to that. One that Lr offers more image management tools, and the other big one - Price. I think the conclusion from this is that Lr is the poor man's PS. It doesn't do everything PS can do, but it does quite a bit. And, if one is to stay on the poor man's theme, then it can make a little sense to use the combination of Lr and Elements to get a little more capable poor man's replacement for PS.

I'm one level below the poor man, and just use Elements. It has Adobe Camera RAW which basically does the same things as Lr. Lr is closer to the full ACR in PS. Like Lr the process is non destructive, and you can process multiple files at the same time. Elements also has the Editor which is a basic version of the classic PS. To get back close to your question, what do I do in Editor, that I can't do in ACR?

1. I prefer to do the crops for printing in Editor. I will do the basic crop to straighten the horizon in ACR, but do the various print aspect ratio crops in Editor.

2. Distortion correction and vignetting I will do in Editor. Basic automatic distortion correction is done in ACR.

3. I use layers to apply selective sharpening of an image, skin smoothing, teeth whitening, eye whitening. The purpose of using layers is to make the effects adjustable. As long as you maintain the layers you can adjust the effect by changing opacity of the mask.

4. Luminosity sharpening using layers.

5. I use the clone tools to make spot corrections, and wrinkle in skin reductions, although that is most often done with a layer too for fine final adjustment.

6. Content aware tools for foreign object removal.

7. Selection tools for sky replacement, and background replacement.

8. Sliming and trimming tricks

Of these, I believe Lr can do some such as 1 & 2 to varying degrees.

I think an earlier comment is quite true. Most probably cannot live with Lr alone, but you easily can with PS alone, and I'll add if you are willing to give up a few bells and whistles you may be able to live with Elements alone.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow