Cross platform equivalency

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 3,974Gear list
Like?
Re: Cross platform equivalency
In reply to Rick Knepper, 3 months ago

If you have read any of the several thousand crop vs 35mm arguments over the years it's all the same stuff applied to MF vs 35mm.  I have been pointing out for years that this is the case, that for some reason people have decided that 35mm is the "perfect" balance of price/performance, which really means they can afford 35mm.  If money is not an object and there exists something better, well, you see where I'm going with this.

The issue has been that crop and 35mm really have been the sweet spot in terms of selling cameras to people, so they have enjoyed the most focus on tech advancement.  With all of the talk about DSLR saturation you might start to see more MF cameras like the Pentax who target working pros who can afford then and are seeking something to differentiate themselves from the mom/dad with a camera crowd.

Anyway, to the crop stuff.  1.27 or so crop factor means that we are comparing a difference pretty close to the difference between 35mm and APS-H.  If the sensors are of the same tech generation you will get better images from the 51mp MF sensor, all other things being equal.  You will get thinner depth of field from the MF as well, which seems to be a key argument among the anti-crop movement.

The real question comes down to whether or not you need it.  The d800's 36mp is interesting, I personally don't need it for what I want to do.  I usually don't need 20mp either, if I'm being honest.  All of these arguments about getting the best hardware often makes a pretty insignificant difference to your average photo, it's more about the outlying images that make people go ooo and aaaa.

Summation, the Pentax images SHOULD be better than a Canon 35mm with the same pixel count, due to larger surface area, all things being equal.  Does that justify the cost difference that we'll likely see?  Hard to say as the Canon camera doesn't exist.  Are there other features of the Canon that make it a better fit for your uses??  Again, hard to say.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow