At what price point is a "grey" D800 worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
navogel
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
At what price point is a "grey" D800 worth it?
3 months ago

So I am currently living in South Korea and I can get a new "grey market" (considered grey in Korea, actually comes from somewhere else in Asia) from a local vendor for about $1900 out the door.

At first, I was thinking about purchasing right before heading back to the states, but from what I understand I can get Nikon service on grey items here, unlike in the US. So I am thinking it is best to purchase immediately and hopefully any problems will pop up in the next 5 months. I can also test the camera in the "shop" before purchasing. (any ideas on what to look for other than the focus issue?)

Should I just go ahead and purchase this and pretend it's like a "used" no-warranty D800 only brand new?

On the DX to FX transition (if you care to give lens advice):

I have a wedding/event business that I will be going back to, which has been all DX to this point. Ill be keeping one d7000 around as a second camera. I have a 17-50 2.8 (dx), 70-200 2.8 (fx), 11-16 2.8 (dx), and a few primes, but only one with me in Korea, a 50mm 1.8. If I get the d800 Ill need something other than the 50mm to walk around with and preferably another zoom that I can utilize for events.

I need to decide between the Tamron 28-70 2.8 VC, the new sigma 24-105 f4, or nikon 24-120 f4. At first I was thinking the popular 28-70 FL, speed + VC, but I often find that walking around with the 17-50 leaves me wanting and during events I have to get a little too close or switch to the massive 70-200.. plus I have that range covered with my 17-50mm.  I also am doing more and more video so the range of one of the f4s + constant aperture are really nice. The nikon has the most reach, but the focus ring is terrible for video.. apparently it does not engage for a few mm, (anyone have any experience with this lens and video?). The sigma is better for manual focusing but less reach.  IQ seems pretty similar but I would really like something with some pop, sharp centers are important, edges not as much.  LR for distortion/etc so no worries.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow