High ISO performance & its relation with pixel count with NR - D5100, D7100, D600

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rob4
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
High ISO performance & its relation with pixel count with NR - D5100, D7100, D600
3 months ago

In an earlier thread , I was comparing, among other things, the relation of high ISO performance and its effects when looking at increased pixel count and the use of Topaz Denoise. What initially pointed me to the subject were Reilly Diefenbach 's posts on the combined benefits of the little boost in high ISO performance between the D5100 and the [D5200/D7100] and megapixel count in combination of some cleanup with Topaz Denoise. I had some time today, so I went on DPReviews ISO comparison site , downloaded RAWs for the D5100, D7100, and the D600 (for good measure), and compared three pictures at 6400 ISO.

For my own personal reasons, I'm comparing these pictures after only modifying them in camera raw by pulling the highlight slider down and pulling the shadows up all the way in ACR. Why? I have a few pictures, like this one (2nd and 3rd pics have NR), where I had to shoot in a high ISO and pull shadows that created issues with noise. It is clear to me that this isn't for everyone, but I thought I would share my own particular findings with this forum.

All images

• 6400 ISO RAW files.
  • ACR [Highlights -100 / Shadows +100].
  • Topaz Denoise RAW at Medium.

D5100

D7100

D600

Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow