You think there is a market there for a fast, compact zoom kit lense with good optical properties?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thornhale
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
You think there is a market there for a fast, compact zoom kit lense with good optical properties?
8 months ago

I was thinking of somewhere along the lines of 12(or 14)-42mm focal length with F2.8mm AND compact (e.g. 12-32mm Panasonic pany or 14-42 Olympus EZ pany; that is the key as similar lenses already exist in this space but they are not compact) and low distortion as well as low chromatic abberation optionally with OIS (I am looking at you Panasonic). I haven't seen anything like that yet. Perhaps we are entering territory that is physically impossible (I don't know enough about optics really to say)...but would you get such a lense if it had much better optical properties than what's currently out there?

To me this seems like such an obvious thing to do that I am surprised that no other company has come up with such a lense...but maybe I am wrong, and people prefer other kinds of lenses.

thornhale's gear list:thornhale's gear list
Olympus SZ-30MR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow