Why do DPR DR measurements show Canon similar to Sony sensors?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
l_d_allan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358Gear list
Like?
Why do DPR DR measurements show Canon similar to Sony sensors?
8 months ago

I've read any number of claims and reviews stating that the Sony full frame sensor used in the Nikon D800 and Sony A7r is capable of significantly better DR than Canon ff sensors at low ISO.

This seems to manifest itself better results from "pulling up" shadow areas by 3+ stops in pp. This should allow less use of HDR in high contrast situations. I could make less use of MagicLantern's Dual-ISO.

However, when I look at DPR charts showing DR, and comparing Canon FF to Nikon and Sony, this difference seems minimal, and perhaps the gray wedge chart favors the 5d3.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a7/15with D800 & Canon ff's

The above makes it appear that 5d3 is best, as far as widest DR. Do I not understand how to read this?

Is this because the chart is reporting "per pixel", and thus not really taking into account the extra pixels of the Sony sensor? I believe that is what happens with DPR's NR charts.

Is there some kind of measurement that would correspond to what a very high quality Adobe-98 monitor could show of a benchmark high contrast scene with appropriate pp? Or a very high quality 12-color wide format printer on premium glossy paper?

The chart doesn't indicate what ISO was used. My assumption would be base ISO. Or not?

Is the "pull up by 3+ stops" challenge a different issue? Would this correspond to some test of how many wedges can be accurately shown/printed with less than [fill-in-the-blank] noise?

BTW: Is the 5d3 really that much better than the 6d wrt DR?

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +22 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow