Cross platform equivalency

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Silverback1988
Contributing MemberPosts: 689
Like?
I believe it's a hard task for Canon to equal the MF.
In reply to Rick Knepper, 4 months ago

Hi Rick,

Rick Knepper wrote:

FF > MF that is.

Yes this will concern a rumored Canon camera, not an actual one (at least for the moment).

It's still fun to speculate a rumored Camera.

I am pretty comfortable in my understanding that more MPs per given area results in more detail.

Yes, if the glass allowed I believe.

Let's say this rumored camera, casually referred to on this forum as the High Resolution Monster, has 51 MPs just like the Pentax 645Z.

Those same number of MPs will be laid out on .79x less area on Canon's FF sensor as opposed the Pentax sensor.

It will be a stretch for the FF glass to match the MF glass. I don't know the crop factor exactly,

so I just take your number, 0.79 it is.

The FF glass need to be 1.26 x sharper at 0.79x f ratio from the MF lens to match exactly what MF system is producing.

ie. the MF is at 80mm f/4  --->  FF is at 64mm f/3.2  and the FF lens must be 1.26 times sharper than the MF lens at that setting.

If the Canon could do that, so it will be less point to go MF.

I hope Great Bustard will join in. He is good with numbers

and also good with hypothetical condition

I have admitted in the past that I am fuzzy on cross platform equivalency but until now I have not been interested in anything but FF. The Pentax 645Z may change that.

I hope the Pentax will make other company lower their price

Or...  I will start saving my money for the Pentax 

Noise and DR aside, which set of 51 MPs will produce more detail, less detail or the same detail in the respective systems all other things being equal?

GB mentioned large pixel blur the other day so I am interested if that concept applies here in any way since the pixels on the Pentax sensor will be larger.

I think GB talk about the same format, the larger pixel means less MP.

Thus it doesn't apply here on the Pentax's 51 MP vs Canon 51 MP FF.

Anyone not familiar with the Pentax 645Z can catch up here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/04/15/hands-on-with-the-pentax-645z?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

The pros of the 645Z, $8499, 51 MPs. on a sensor larger than FF, weather sealed, 25 cross-type AF points, and wait for it.............. articulating LCD.

yes, articulating LCD !!

The cons: 3 fps.

Not a problem for me. Even 1 fps will make me happy, as long I got the discount in price

Lenses for the system mostly look reasonably priced although you won't find any pity-fifty pricing. The MF>FF crop factor is .79 according to DPR.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1045517&gclid=CMOVld_K5L0CFdBcMgodCCkAGA&is=REG&Q=&A=details

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link below. Includes 5D3 vs D800E (new uploads), 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

-

Brian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow