My new DSLR has me appreciating my m43 setup much more

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,818Gear list
Like?
Re: My new DSLR has me appreciating my m43 setup much more
In reply to Wesley Byrne, 8 months ago

Wesley Byrne wrote:

When I bought into m43 about 18 months ago I did so because I could get good images, direct camera control, and decent high-ISO performance at a very good price. The small size was a bonus. Over time, I have really come to appreciate the lenses we are able to choose from in the wide to mid telephoto range. Overall, I have been very happy with my m43 gear.

I recently decided to buy a new DSLR to use alongside my m43 gear for the usual reasons (to use with specific lenses, fast AF + tracking, slightly better DR and high-ISO performance). After first trying the 70D, which I did not like, I bought a D7000 that I am pretty happy with. It performs well, as expected, but after 18 months without a DSLR I had forgotten how big and heavy these things are. By comparison to my G3s, it is pretty big.

The D7000 has a good reputation and I am enjoying mine, but I hadn't realized how nice the m43 gear is. Most of the time my m43 gear gets me the photo I need or want, and it really is compact and lightweight.

When I was looking for an new interchangeable lens camera 3+ years ago, after much research and the obligatory agonizing ;-), I narrowed it down to a GH2 and D7000. As a long time Nikon shooter since the mid-80s, I REALLY wanted a Nikon, but after numerous trips to B&H and handling both, I decided to go with the GH2. I just couldn't make peace with the D7000. Actually, the D7000 made me laugh every time I handled one… and not in a good way.

SO, size and weight were the main and determining factors for me, but also the ability to adapt my old Nikon lenses. Since a system is really about the lenses, when considering M4/3 the Panasonic 7-14mm and Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f0.95 were big deciding factors. Those were the two lenses I really wanted. It took a 7 month wait to get the Voigtländer, but it was well worth it!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow