Stick with Nikon or Go for the 5DIII ?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,506Gear list
Like?
Re: Stick with Nikon or Go for the 5DIII ?
In reply to lefantian, 8 months ago

lefantian wrote:

Hello everyone~ I'm a wedding and people (mainly newborn) photographer, and I also like to shoot landscape and daily life of family. Currently I'm using the Nikon D3s with several lenses. However, one thing I find struggling is the skintone out of the Nikon D3s always requires some labor (I mainly shoot Asian people, and the customers here do like kind of “pink and a little magenta” skintones rather than yellowish): maybe due to the AWB, and maybe also due to the camera's own color rendering.

I’m considering adding new cameras to my workflow, and the choices are:

A). Stick with Nikon and buy a D800 (with D3s as backup);

B). Switch to Canon and go for the 5DIII (maybe with 6D as a backup camera).

And once the decision is made, I’ll stick with the chosen brand for many years.

My concerns are:

1). IS there a big difference between the D800 and 5DIII in skintone rendering? Do Canon users always need to intensively adjust color for a better skintone?

2). IS the AF system of the 5DIII fast, accurate and reliable enough?

The burst shoot speed is not an issue as far as I can see. So please don’t tell me to go for the D4s/1DX as my current budget is limited to the D800/5DIII level… Thanks!

What is your opinion of the rendering of the skintones in this post?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53555583

Not that I'm suggesting the you buy a Fuji S5 Pro, furthest from it, but I bought one a year or so ago from an Asian who had a large circle of Africian American and Asian friends and he said that gave the best skintones for that group. I sold it eventually to a school portrait photography company. The owner said he has tried numerous other brands but he uses the Fuji S5 Pros exclusively and puts hundreds of thousands of shots on them, again giving the best skintones across a huge nationality base. While not much benefit to you, it tends to dispel the line of thought that there is no difference in skintone rendering from camera brand to camera brand.  No concern to me as I rarely photograph people, but obviously it is to you and your situation.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow