Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,569Gear list
Like?
Question for M-mode users on EM1
6 months ago

I'm having trouble understanding the Controls description in the EM1 review. It seems that there's just two dials, and in DPR's review, one is marked "Primary Exposure Parameter" and the other "Exposure Compensation". Unfortunately, most DPR reviewers are A or S shooters and never really explain well the features for an M shooter (in all their reviews).

My questions are, in M-mode:

1. Which defaults to A and which to S? [I prefer S nearest me and A on the grip]
  2. Is it possible to customize which is A and which is S?
  3. Is there a third dial I've missed somewhere?
  4. If you're in manual ISO in M, how do you adjust it?
  5. Is there auto-ISO in M?
  6. If you're in auto-ISO+M can you still have EV compensation control? [or to get such a feature would I have to be in S?]
  7. Does the 2x2 switch work in some way different from DPR's description when in M mode?

Sorry for the questions, as I don't use M4/3 (though I have lusted over it as much as the next person). I've heard great things about the EM1's customization but the DPR review didn't seem to indicate how it works for M shooters. The four dials of A7 have spoilt me as now I prefer to shoot Auto-ISO + EV control in M (though I wouldn't mind switching to S for this camera if needed). The dials on G5/6/GH3/4 seem self-explanatory, assuming they're similar to DSLRs or FZ200 (which I have owned), but I couldn't figure out the EM1.

An unrelated question: if you were to get a single m4/3 body (one with a viewfinder) and a single telezoom (one of Oly 75-300 or Pana 100-300) which would they be?  Can the OIS in the 100-300 be used in an Oly body (instead of IBIS)?

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
ANSWER:
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow