How much ff resolution to not be "weak link" with Otus?

Started Apr 25, 2014 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,087
How much ff resolution to not be "weak link" with Otus?

My understanding is that the very expensive Zeiss 55mm f1.4 Otus is pretty much state-of-the-art for lens quality, including line-pair resolution.

I also have the impression that the Otus has more resolution than even the Nikon D800e with 36mpx can resolve. In that sense, the Nikon sensor is the "weak link".

• I'm unclear if this is a valid question, but what full frame sensor resolution would "balance" the Otus so that neither was the "weak link"?
  • How about APS-C sensors with 24 mpx and no AA filter? I believe I've read that these sensors present the greatest challenge to the center of premium lenses.
  • Is there some kind of formula that relates optimal sensor resolution to line-pair resolution with a certain MFT definition?
  • How about very good, but not ultra-premium lenses like a Canon 35mm f2 IS prime?
  • How about a very good zoom like the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L II zoom?
  • Is there a way to estimate how much resolution a lens can "feed" from DxoMark lens ratings?
  • Sorry if this question has been asked before.
 l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +27 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow