Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dagalbaji
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
D7000 - AF-On Focus and recomposing technique
5 months ago

I recently moved from D5100 to D7000. I usually use the AF-s and move the focus point to desired position within the frame and lock it by half pressing the shutter and then take the photos. Recently read about the AF-On and Focus and Recompose technique and trying to practice but I have few basic queries. Any help is greatly appreciated. I scanned through several forums but could not find the straight answer.

Here is my setup first: Autofocus mode is AF-C and Chosen the 9-point, A1 is release priority, F5 to AF-on for back button focus in D7000. Based on what I read, I focus using AE/AL button and release, recompose and take a shot which should work like AF-S. If I hold the AE/AL it will continue to acquire focus like AF-C. I always use the center point in both the cases. My "L" lever is point to the dot.

1. After the subject is focussed using AE/AL the Green Dot confirms it is in focus, I release the button and recompose within the same focus plane. Now the green dot is gone and the camera is trying to get the focus back and hunting. Is this correct? Shouldn't the dot stay on? Since I setup AF-C/Release mode I am able to take the shot. However, when reviewing the photo I see the focus point showing at the Center of the recomposed point where as I expect it to be on the original point of focus before I moved to recompose. Is this how it should work?

2. The same happens even if I hold the AE/AL button without releaseing and try to recompose the shot. The moment I change the focus to recompose the focus point starts hunting and the 2 arrows appear simultaneously on the view finder.

What am I doing wrong? The photos are some time sharper but not always. So I am confusted if this the technique or Settings or Me causing the issue. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Btw, I have read many forums and saw videos. None of them explain what to expect with respect the focus points. I don't want to give up learning this technique.

Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow