MayaTlab0
Contributing MemberPosts: 958
Like?
Re: Leica T is out, but for who?
In reply to PrebenR, 4 months ago

PrebenR wrote:

Alxy wrote:

Leica T is out.

This new Leica is not for a gear-head or a photographer. It is for a rich person seeking a point-and-shoot style camera, who does not know what to do with the money and wants to have the label to show-off, to get somehow associated with Leica's past success.

T is for somebody who wants to use M lenses but cannot afford the Leica M.

I'm not too sure about that. Sure it should accommodate M lenses, and from early previews it seems there isn't anything too wrong about corner sharpness with those, but at least Leica could have done a little more in the way of MF assist in that case. In addition why then bother releasing native lenses ? I intuitively believe people will mostly buy it with native lenses, just like it happens on most mirrorless systems, and a decent minority will use adapted lenses from the parent system, at least until the system's lens line up is sufficiently developed.

No image stabilization. All other have it in some way - on sensor or in lenses.

Tripod

There are a number of situations where a tripod isn't exactly the ideal tool and where you still need to close down the aperture. In which case stabilisation isn't such a bad thing to have. Perhaps not a deal breaker for most of us, but a nice tool to add to the toolkit. It's going to become a more serious disadvantage with the planned telephoto lens if that one still doesn't have stabilisation, especially since it's a camera more suited for rear screen framing.

Maximum shutter speed is 1/4000. Many have it up to 1/8000

In the rare cases that is needed, ND filter.

Again, cumbersome in certain situations. I remember people never really complained about having to use gel filters for flash white balance until Apple released the iPhone 5S. Now everybody using flash on a constant basis dreams of a similar solution (and so does at leaf Olympus according to a French interview). Same goes for ND filters : it's cumbersome. On the other hand though, perhaps a 1/4000 shutter may mitigate things like shutter shock for example. Until Leica releases a number of brighter primes, I suppose this will remain a small niggle only.

No weather sealing. Fujifilm X-T1, Sony A7/A7r, Olympus E-M1 have it.

Leica M

Although there is weather sealing and weather sealing (I'm not sure I'd submit the A7 to the same kind of conditions I'd put an E-M1 through), I believe Leica could have easily added weather sealing on this camera. Especially since their unibody construction reduces the number of joints to be sealed anyway. The other cameras are in the same price bracket as the T, so Leica can do it. Hey, although that's a very personal preference, I'd rather have saved a few euros in manufacturing costs by not having internal memory and transferred those savings to a few rubber seals. And they have all the expertise they need since the S2 and M240 are weather sealed.

LCD does not tilt - all other companies have a camera with a tillable one

Titlable LCDs are not very useful. Hinghed like a GH3 is more practical if you need it. I still perfer my cameras that has fixed LCDs. The EVF is titlable, how does that work on a X-T1?

This is a bold statement. I believe most street photographers or videographers would rather have a tillable LCD than a hinged one (quicker to deploy, aligned with the body).

No built-in EVF. Extra 600$ for it. All other companies have a model with EVF built-in.

Leica M

Still trying to find the EVF on a Leica M, but perhaps I'm just stupid.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow