Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,707
Like?
Re: Leica T is out, but for who?
In reply to Alxy, 6 months ago

Alxy wrote:

Leica T is out.

If this camera would be released by any other company you would think somebody went crazy over there. An APS-C camera for 1850$?

Well the camera body is not more expensive than a E-M1 which is a mFT. So...

Let's take Canon M system for example. They have very similar camera with 2 lenses, when it was first released. Would anybody take this camera seriously at 1850$ for a body and 1700$ for Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM? I guess not, sounds like a 1st of April joke. But for Leica the price and mediocrity of the T system looks to be Ok.

Who takes Canon M seriously? Despite price... Why is T mediocrity? Have you tested it?

This new Leica is not for a gear-head or a photographer. It is for a rich person seeking a point-and-shoot style camera, who does not know what to do with the money and wants to have the label to show-off, to get somehow associated with Leica's past success.

T is for somebody who wants to use M lenses but cannot afford the Leica M.

The exact list of mediocrity points of Leica T:

Slow in many regards, according to the reviews.

AF is contrast detect only, no PDAF. A must today for new cameras of this segment. Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1, Sony A7, Sony A6000, Canon M2, Nikon 1, Olympus E-M1 have it. Basically each company now has it.

See how well PDAF works for Sony A7. Besides who needs AF with M glass?

Sensor size - APS-C. Sony A7/A7r are full frame with Carl Zeiss lenses. Some point-and-shoot are APS-C or close. I would also mention Sony R1 here as an example of innovation.

Leica M is FF, Fuji X is APS-C, the rest is mFT.

No image stabilization. All other have it in some way - on sensor or in lenses.

Tripod

Maximum shutter speed is 1/4000. Many have it up to 1/8000

In the rare cases that is needed, ND filter.

No weather sealing. Fujifilm X-T1, Sony A7/A7r, Olympus E-M1 have it.

Leica M

LCD does not tilt - all other companies have a camera with a tillable one

Titlable LCDs are not very useful. Hinghed like a GH3 is more practical if you need it. I still perfer my cameras that has fixed LCDs. The EVF is titlable, how does that work on a X-T1?

No built-in EVF. Extra 600$ for it. All other companies have a model with EVF built-in.

Leica M

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow