advice needed: which zooms is right for me?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hybert46
Contributing MemberPosts: 587Gear list
Like?
advice needed: which zooms is right for me?
4 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am really lost and need your guidance. I will soon go to Brittany for a few weeks in June and I feel I'll need a zoom for my travel there. I will be walking quite a lot along the seashore and I therefore highly appreciate a compact and lightweight kit.

I currently have the olympus e_m5 with the 7.5mm fisheye, the 12mm , the 9-18mm, the 20mm, the 45mm f/1.8 and the 12-60mm f2.8-4 (43version) as well as a few standard kit zooms. I adore my olympus camera with all these little primes but I sometimes miss the flexibility of an all-around zoom. The 12-60mm is a fantastic lens but is quite bulky. In the end, I actually use it for product photography only and do not take it with me when travelling anymore. The primes are doing a great job for static subjects but I miss the flexibility of a zoom when I want to take a picture of a nice wide scenery and the minute after I want to take a portrait of my girlfriend for example.

So I have four choices :

- Buy the olympus 12-40mm. It seems like a great lens, I particularly like the manual focusing ring and weather sealing.

- Buy the panasonic 12-35mm. Great lens as well, weather sealed and very compact for its 2.8 aperture

- Buy the panasonic 12-32mm. Extremely compact and lightweight. Works great for landscape at 12mm but not that great for portrait as it is slow in the long end.

- Stay with the current kit I have and learn to deal with it.

All kind of advices are very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Simon

Here are a few pictures I took these last years.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Flickr favorites: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjkypfZu
E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 9-18mm, 12mm, 20mm, 45mm

hybert46's gear list:hybert46's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow